VELFAC recognises the need to limit our impact on the environment, and this is reflected in the choice of material suppliers and manufacturing processes that are employed. You can download a full copy of our Environment Statement, or read some summary information below.
VELFAC is also at the very forefront of designing CO2 neutral buildings, which strike a balance between energy use and production. Learn more about the Home for Life and the Green Lighthouse office development using the links to the left.
Attention to energy efficiency
- VELFAC windows use low-e double-glazed units with argon filled cavities and soft low-e coatings as standard, and U-values as low as 0.90 W/m²k are achievable. We also provide excellent documentary evidence in the form of a data sheet, which details all individual U-values for each window unit, and an area weighted U-value for the project
- The 54mm profile of VELFAC windows means that we use less wood and aluminium in the frame components than some of our competitors, and the slim sightlines allow up to 15% more light to enter, providing better daylighting contributions.
Responsibly sourced materials
- All wood is sourced from sustainable sources
- All wood treatments are water based
- Approximately 50% of aluminium used in production of VELFAC profiles is from recycled sources, and 95% is produced using hydro-electricity. VELFAC suppliers have an accredited Environmental Management and Audit System and are ISO14001 accredited.
- VELFAC glass suppliers run detailed environmental management systems
Responsible energy management
- Timber off-cuts are added to the factory furnace to help the heating during the winter
- Aluminium and glass wastage is returned for re-cycling
- Local electricity generated using wind turbines off the West Coast of Denmark contributes to the main manufacturing facility
- All artificial lighting levels to offices are controlled by local movement of personnel
- Water used in the manufacturing processes is re-cycled
- All VELFAC windows are made to order. When a window is input to the ordering system, a subsequent order is made to our suppliers for precise amounts of materials, which will be used during the manufacture. No materials are kept on stock minimising waste
- We have a defined product range, within which are standardised options for all glass, fixtures and fittings
- We have a comprehensive range of standard interface details, which give standard trusted solutions to a variety of structures, interfaces and facades, and are designed to minimise materials and complexity
Environmental Declaration and material use
In collaboration with the Technological Institute in Denmark, VELFAC has undertaken a 'cradle to grave' analysis of window performance, with the results published as an 'Environmental Declaration'.